Project Chintan

Maharashtra to cut Kunbi data for Maratha caste certificates, says Jarange

Manoj Jarange Patil alleges the state will reduce Kunbi certificates for Marathas and demands certificates based on 58 lakh records. He plans stops in Marathwada and Vidarbha from Aug 20-25 and an indefinite fast from Aug 29.

· 3 min read

Key takeaways

  • Manoj Jarange Patil alleges the state will reduce Kunbi certificates for eligible Marathas and basing issuance on 58 lakh records.
  • Jarange has announced a tour across Marathwada and Vidarbha (Aug 20-25) and an indefinite fast starting Aug 29 to press for OBC quota.
  • Additional demands include validation of existing certificates, gazette references, revocation of protest-related cases, and timely appointments and reimbursements.

What Happened

The Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange Patil claimed that the Maharashtra government intends to reduce the number of Kunbi caste certificates available to eligible Marathas. He said certificates should instead be issued according to the 58 lakh records identified earlier. Jarange announced a tour of Marathwada and parts of Vidarbha from August 20 to 25 and an indefinite fast starting August 29 to press for OBC quota for eligible Marathas. He also urged that all pending certificates be issued based on the 58 lakh data and warned against pressure from political parties or individuals.

Jarange reiterated several demands, including validation of Kunbi certificates issued so far, a government resolution and gazette references from Satara, Kolhapur, Aundh and Bombay, and the withdrawal of cases against Maratha protesters. He called for completed appointments under SEBC and EWS quotas by August 29 and the settlement of reimbursements and scholarships by that date. He noted SARTHI as an autonomous state institute and urged funds to restart halted schemes. He described meetings with Maratha scholars as part of ongoing discussions about changes to government orders. He also criticized certain ruling-party leaders for provoking the community.

In his remarks, Jarange stated that ministers Sanjay Shirsat and Chandrashekhar Bawankule, and MP Sandipan Bhumre were involved in actions perceived as damaging the Maratha community, with accusations that some politicians were encouraging legal challenges.

The reporting across multiple outlets cited the same core claim: the government would trim the data used to issue Kunbi certificates and that the 58 lakh records should form the basis for issued certificates.

Why It Matters

The dispute centers on how caste certificates are issued for Marathas seeking OBC quota benefits. If the government reduces the eligible certificate pool, it could affect the pace and scope of quota allocations for Marathas, potentially altering access to seats, jobs, and scholarships tied to SEBC and EWS quotas. The planned August 29 deadlines for fasts, protests, and administrative actions indicate a high-stakes moment in a long-running reservation debate in Maharashtra.

The public framing of the data set (58 lakh records) as a baseline for issuing certificates, and calls to restart SARTHI-funded schemes, signal a broader push to resolve long-standing grievances tied to the Maratha quota movement while balancing administrative controls in issuing caste-based certificates.

Key Facts

  • Activist Manoj Jarange Patil claims the Maharashtra government wants to slash Kunbi certificates for eligible Marathas and base issuance on 58 lakh records.
  • Jarange says certificates should be issued according to the 58 lakh records identified earlier.
  • He plans a tour of Marathwada and parts of Vidarbha from August 20 to 25, and an indefinite fast from August 29 for OBC quota demands.
  • Demands include validation of existing Kunbi certificates, gazette references, and withdrawal of cases against Maratha protesters.
  • He seeks completion of appointments under SEBC and EWS quotas by August 29 and settlement of reimbursements and scholarships by that date.
  • SARTHI is cited as an autonomous state institute; demands include restarting halted schemes and adequate funding.
  • Specific political leaders were named as allegedly provoking the Maratha community against the movement.

What Happens Next

The next steps outlined by Jarange include continuing advocacy to have 58 lakh records serve as the basis for certificate issuance, launching the August 20-25 tour, and enforcing the August 29 fast and related administrative timelines. The situation centers on whether state authorities will adjust the data basis for caste certificates and how quickly policy adjustments or legal actions might respond to ongoing protests and court considerations.

Sources reviewed

Project Chintan independently synthesized and analyzed information cross-checked across the sources listed above.

Related stories