Congress hits census 2027, calls questionnaire flawed and nefarious
The Congress alleges Census 2027's caste questions are engineered with a hidden motive, criticizing new micro-questions on parents' birth details and religion. It points to missing a drop-down caste menu, contrary to a 2021 affidavit, and frames the move as a potential sabotage of caste data collect
Key takeaways
- Congress claims Census 2027 questionnaire includes novel micro-questions on religion and parental birth details not previously asked.
- Open caste option exists alongside indicators for declining caste declarations and a separate 'no caste' choice.
- The party says the Centre had recommended a caste drop-down in a 2021 Supreme Court affidavit, which is not present in Census 2027.

What Happened
The Congress party criticized Census 2027, arguing that its questionnaire is deliberately flawed and that the census serves a deeper, hidden purpose. Party general secretary Jairam Ramesh highlighted new micro questions about religion, birth dates, and the birthplaces of respondents’ parents, noting these have not been asked before. He also pointed to the presence of an open field for declaring caste, alongside options for selecting "does not want to declare caste" and "no caste". The assertion came after a media report suggested the census would collect caste-related data up to the village level for both father and mother, and after the party questioned the absence of a drop-down caste menu, which the Centre had recommended in a 2021 affidavit to the Supreme Court.
Ramesh referenced the government’s purported shift in stance, claiming the Prime Minister announced a caste census in 2025 but then reversed on that position. He cited an affidavit filed on September 21, 2021, where the government reportedly stated there was no pre-existing caste registry before the 2011 Census and suggested a drop-down menu would have ensured more consistent data. The Congress reiterated its charge on August 18, 2026, with the latest comments published the following day.
Why It Matters
The party frames the questionnaire as a potential tool to influence caste data collection, arguing that the methodology is not aligned with broader data-collection standards and could undermine the reliability of caste-related statistics. This perspective hinges on the claim that prior government documents favored a drop-down menu for caste selection, which is not present in the current Census 2027 questionnaire. If the questions are seen as novel or intrusive, they could shape public interpretation of census data and affect policy debates tied to caste classifications.
Background
Public debate over caste data collection has included government affidavits and court filings, with the 2021 Supreme Court affidavit suggesting the ideal mechanism would include a drop-down menu for caste. The Government’s public stance on caste data has been characterized by shifting positions according to the Congress. The August 2026 commentary references a prior claim that a caste census would be conducted, followed by a reversal, all within recent political discourse.
Key Facts
- The Congress alleges Census 2027 uses a flawed methodology and has a “deeper nefarious purpose.”
- Jairam Ramesh, Congress general secretary in charge of communications, shared a media report on X about the questionnaire’s scope, including questions on religion, date of birth, and parents’ place of birth up to village level.
- The questionnaire reportedly contains an open caste declaration option and two other caste options: “does not want to declare caste” and “no caste.”
- The Congress criticizes the absence of a drop-down caste menu, which it says the Centre recommended in a 2021 affidavit to the Supreme Court.
- The 2021 affidavit reportedly acknowledged there was no pre-existing caste registry before the 2011 Census and suggested a drop-down would improve data consistency.
- The Congress connected the issue to a claimed change in government stance regarding a caste census, citing dates around September 2021 and April 30, 2025.
- The allegations and statements were published on August 19-20, 2026, in Indian media coverage cited by the Congress.
What Happens Next
The public exchange centers on whether the census questionnaire will include a drop-down caste menu and how the micro-questions are interpreted. The Congress demands scrutiny of the methodology and alignment with prior government positions, while there is no official confirmation within the provided material about the census administration’s response or any subsequent policy changes.
Sources reviewed
Project Chintan independently synthesized and analyzed information cross-checked across the sources listed above.
Related stories

Jharkhand cancels CGL exam after protests, leaving 2,000 job seekers uncertain

Chouhan administers Sapt Dhara pledge at Pusa, outlines agri roadmap
High Court won’t halt Bengal Speaker’s Ritabrata LoP appointment
