---
title: "Rajasthan Dalit land-encroachment case sees six probes, HC demands affidavits"
url: https://projectchintan.com/article/rajasthan-dalit-case-six-probes-vo9ze
publisher: Project Chintan
author: Project Chintan Newsroom
section: Politics
published: 2026-08-23T12:00:31.262Z
modified: 2026-08-23T14:00:05.219Z
language: en-IN
---

# Rajasthan Dalit land-encroachment case sees six probes, HC demands affidavits

The Rajasthan High Court instructed the Public Prosecutor to secure affidavits from all investigators in a Dalit family land-encroachment case, seeking reasons for delays beyond 60 days. The case in Bharatpur’s Kair village has changed hands six times in two years, with 12 accused booked under IPC a

## Key takeaways

- The Rajasthan High Court demanded explanations from investigators for delays beyond the 60-day deadline in a Dalit land-encroachment case.
- The case has seen six different investigating officers over two years, involving charges under IPC and the SC/ST PoA Act.
- A supervisory committee under the SC/ST PoA Act is expected to review the probe, though its meetings have not been regular.
- The court set a September 7 hearing date to review affidavits and progress.

## What Happened

The Rajasthan High Court ordered the Public Prosecutor to obtain affidavits from all investigators named in the factual report, requesting explanations for why the inquiry was not completed within 60 days and for the subsequent delays. The probe into a land encroachment and attack on a Dalit family in Bharatpur district has changed hands six times over the past two years. The initial information report was filed on May 10, 2024, after an attack on Jitendra Kumar and his family in Kair village. Police investigations have seen six investigators, including a Circle Officer and five Additional Superintendents of Police, with one officer serving in the civil rights cell. The matter involves 12 accused from the Gujjar community, charged under the Indian Penal Code and the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act with offences such as rioting, attempt to commit culpable homicide, grievous hurt, unlawful assembly, criminal trespass, and criminal intimidation. The current investigating officer, Dinesh Kumar Meena, told the High Court that the offences against the accused have been proved and that the probe's results would be submitted to the trial court within two weeks. The High Court had earlier described the delay as concerning and indicated there was no satisfactory explanation for the lapse. The court also directed affidavits from officers on the supervisory committee under Rule 7(3) of the SC/ST (PoA) Act.

## Why It Matters

The court’s intervention underscores concerns about timely investigations in cases involving Dalit victims and potential political influence in probes. The Centre for Dalit Rights welcomed the court’s move, highlighting that timely review mechanisms under the SC/ST (PoA) Act have not been consistently followed, which the group says could have facilitated earlier action against the accused. The case will proceed in court on a future hearing date set for September 7.

## Background

The FIR related to an alleged attack and land encroachment in Kair village, Bharatpur district, occurred in 2024. The investigation has reportedly changed hands six times in two years, with the supervisory framework under the SC/ST (PoA) Act involved but not consistently active according to the petitioner and civil rights observers.

## Key Facts

 
- FIR registered on May 10, 2024, in Bharatpur district’s Kair village.
 
- Victim: Jitendra Kumar, 24, of Bayana block in Bharatpur.
 
- Prosecution notes six different investigating officers over two years (including one Circle Officer and five ASPs).
 
- 12 accused from the Gujjar community charged under IPC and SC/ST (PoA) Act with multiple offences.
 
- The High Court directed affidavits explaining why the probe did not finish within 60 days and reasons for delays.
 
- The current investigator, Dinesh Kumar Meena, claimed offences have been proved and a trial-court submission is due within two weeks.
 
- Supervisory committee under Rule 7(3) of the SC/ST (PoA) Act includes senior state officers; meetings reportedly not held regularly.

## What Happens Next

The matter is listed for further hearing on September 7. The High Court also directed the Public Prosecutor to obtain affidavits from all investigating officers and from the supervisory committee members detailing the reasons for the delays and the lack of timely supervision.

---
Canonical: https://projectchintan.com/article/rajasthan-dalit-case-six-probes-vo9ze
Reported from: Multiple Sources